Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Working through difficult problems

ARGHHH!!!
I'm sitting here with with a look of dissapointment on my face and holes in my tips again wondering why ALL of my friends sent my project seemingly without effort. So while I have a chance to chew through these thoughts, I'll share how I usually deal.
1) The Myth of Ego- First and foremost, I dont get caught up in the ego. I am not what I think I am. I am a human, not a V-rated human. Although I may pull off that sweet rating from time-to-time, it doesn't make me a different person.
2) Learning-- Just chill and know that there are a lot of factors involved in sending those projects. Bouldering is a learning process. So even though I may know I am supposed to drop-knee to gain a little more reach, there may be more subtleties I am missing. Staying open to others' support and beta will certainly give me some insight.
3) Take it easy-- As an athlete, I have to remember and realize that I will experience highs and lows. Everyone trying to reach new heights and to push new personal levels will have good days and bad days. On days when things aren't quite going my way, I like to run around on some easier problems. This regularly reminds me that climbing is fun and that I am actually much better than I am giving myself credit for.
4) Leave it alone--Walking away for a little time may be frustrating, but doing so can always be great for you. Not only will it allow you to build some new tips, it will provide a fresh new perspective. Come back next time a remember to stay open to a new experience.

Keep pulling hard!

1 comment:

Mike McClure said...

I take a slightly different stance when dealing with failure:

1) The (NOT MYTH of) Ego: For some people getting caught up in "the ego" works in a positive way. Look at Joe Kinder, he's a baddass, don't believe me, go ask him, he'll tell ya. Although it may not work for you, some people feed off "the ego" to push themselves to be better climbers. If it works it works, if not, then...???
2) Training: Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you beta the thing down, you will not send unless you get stronger. Think of the physical iron cross and campus moves as techniques just like a drop knee. Likewise think of a dropknee as a physical strength/weakness like power and endurance.
3) Take it REAL easy: I'm with you on this one. If I'm having a bad day and there is no way I am going to beef up my 8a.nu card that day I take it easy. In fact I don't even bother with the easy problems I go straight to the 12oz. curls of liquid courage.
4)Leave it Alone!?!?!?!: Tenacity always pays off just ask Marty Bland. I do agree that sometimes walking away for a bit will help but tenacity should not be forgotten.

Love the new blog. Wish you would post this stuff on climbidaho.com too. It's the kind of content I have been trying to get people to post for almost 2 years now.

By the way 50% of what I just wrote I was half joking.