Tuesday, July 15, 2008

the eye feature


Carving holds is becoming an art form for me. Many things fit into the category of "art form" Just the other day I was watching a show and watching a Jack Russell terrier tear away at a canvas with its claws and teeth creating art that sells for $3000 a piece.

When I started chopping away at foam over a year ago, I was trying to create holds close to the likeness of a piece of rock. I thought this is what would be most inspiring for me, imitating nature. Over the past few months I have change that perspective. I have found that shaping the familiar is more fun. It is becoming more of an artistic process for me. When I imagine people in a gym talking about a route or a boulder problem, I get most psyched imaging them calling out the holds by name. "Grab the big eye!" sounds much more interested than "Hold the pinch" or "Crimp down on that tiny thing". This involves more of a connection to the grip. I like this connection to climbing.

Going to the Outdoor Retailer Show in Salt Lake City is always exciting for me because it gives Asana an opportunity to bring new gear and products before buyers and potential customers. This year we'll be bringing the new Gunther pad, our new hangboard, and several of our new hold shapes. This big eye feature will be a part of the newness for sure. Knowing that people will hold it and look at it as an art form is thrilling. If they are a climber, they will inevitably scope it for its potential as a good feature, but I am hoping that they will also get that cool feeling whenever you see an interesting piece of work for the first time.

No comments: